Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Experiments with Moss

Here is the first of the "Growing moss in the yard under the Shade of a Beech Tree" experiments.

My mother generously spent time pouring over plants at the local nursery to discover they sold Gold Scotch Moss. She purchased 3 plants for us and Beech-nut 1 and I planted these today.



Find a good spot to plant.



We scientifically chose this location considering several key factors:
1. It is not in the path of foot traffic,
2. It is near a rock wall and there was a picture of a rock wall on the plant label,
3. It is in the shade,
4. My mom said it would be a good spot for the moss.



We dug a hole, weeded around the hole, planted the moss, and added water.

Now we play the waiting game.

The waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

hi! oh my gosh- I love moss! I'm going to try moss slurry. have you heard of it? it helps make it grow faster and it involves buttermilk. i'll let you know if it's any faster than just planting it regular.

Jessie said...

Hi Maggie,
Its funny you mention that, I just snagged some moss from a friends yard to make a slurry,I have the buttermilk in my fridge now. I'll post about it soon and we can compare results!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails