Saturday, February 16, 2008

Leaking Foundation

The experience of the old home continues. Snow turned to rain before finally settling on ice. I'm not sure of the physics behind it, but as I wandered into my basement for my post rain check of the basement I noticed a lot more water then usual in the "wet locations". My usual practice is to shop-vac any puddles that violate the 1/3 rule. This rule is, if the puddle extends more the 1/3 of the space between the walls, I'll clean it up immediately, anything less I make a judgment call on my mood about the house that day. I vacuumed the 4 gallons and went to work.

After such days of rain and subsequent vac I check the spots again once I arrive home. This one particular location, was almost to my 1/3 line. I vacuumed again and tried to see where the water was coming from. I managed to follow it all the way back main water line coming through the fieldstone foundation.



The leak didn't seem like much, so I put a 2.5 gallon bucket under the drip. The house frustration was full for the day, up to the comfort of my family.

The following day I contact my savior and renovation consultant, Jon. I explained what was happening and some simple hydraulic cement should do the trick. Many hours later of researching such a wonderful product, Offspring #1 and I wander off to Lowes to grab a bucket.

More later..

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails